POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Normal distribution : Re: Normal distribution Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal distribution
From: Chris Johnson
Date: 7 May 2004 16:21:57
Message: <409befe5$1@news.povray.org>
-[Not quite correct]-
That's why I said "about 2^-52" not "2^-52". I wasn't going to go into the
details of floating point when it is rendered irrelevant by the fixed-point
form of the random number generator.

-[At most, it may be even less]-
It wouldn't be a 32-bit linear congruential generator if it didn't use
32-bits. I looked at the pov-ray source before I posted to make sure it was
a 32-bit generator, rather than the C library rand() function, which is
often only 15- or 16-bit.

-Chris